Skip to main content

California Adventure 2018 - Part 6

Day 7

One of my favorite tools for planning any trip is atlasobscura.com. You can look up odd, interesting, or unique attractions in each state and even other countries. We saw plenty of roadside attractions on this trip but my favorite is probably the Sunken City.

Here's a description from wikipedia:

"In 1929 a natural landslide caused several beachside homes in the Pt. Fermin area of San Pedro, CA, to slide into the ocean. The site was dubbed “Sunken City”. The development of cliffside homes and exclusive bungalows was established in the 1920s by George Peck to attract people who wanted to live with a beautiful view of the Pacific Ocean. Experts investigating the landslide said that the ground was shifting at a rate of 11 inches per day. The landslide occurred at the southern tip of San Pedro sending nearly 40,000 square feet of land into the Pacific Ocean.
The first reports of damage occurred on January 2, 1929, a waterline broke underneath the Ocean View Inn hotel on Paseo Del Mar, and a few days later a gas line broke under the same building. Most of the houses on the 600 block of Paseo Del Mar were evacuated and relocated before the collapse. There was not enough time to move two houses, which ultimately slid into the ocean. Part of the adjoining Point Fermin Park also fell. The slide displaced houses, commercial buildings, streets, and sidewalks."


So I did a bit of research on it and hoped Samantha would be willing to go along with it. I talked it up for a few days before we went and it was only the morning of that I told her that it was actually not open to the public and we would have to trespass to reach it. She wasn't too keen on it initially. But we set out anyway. It was a Wednesday morning so the park next to it was pretty deserted. 

The fence we needed to get past went down the side of the cliff a short ways before it ended and a careful descent was needed. We may have even ducked under a dug out place under the fence instead of going around the end. 


As you can see from the well-worn path down to the end of the fence, it's a pretty popular place.



After we got past the fence, it was just a large open field, a neighborhood complex on one side, the cliff and ocean on the other. I was hesitant because I wasn't 100% we were even in the right place. But soon we saw the edge of the crater! At first I was content to snap a few pics from the edge, not seeing a clear path down from the side we were on. We decided to walk around the perimeter to get a different view and found we could easily walk the well-worn paths down into the rubble. 
It's obvious graffiti artists are drawn to this place as nearly every inch of it was covered in paint. 




















Image may contain: one or more people, ocean, sky, outdoor and nature

We left the way we came, and didn't encounter anyone. 
If I'm ever back in the area, I would love to see it again.


After that we headed down highway 1, stopping for an In-N-Out Burger before heading to Victoria Beach, where we hoped to find a tower on the beach. 
I admit, in this situation, I was not the wisest and ended up parking on the side of the road, much further south than we had intended. I had the idea we could simply walk the beach until we reached the tower. But I was wrong. 
After a good while of walking, we approached a wall that butted up against the ocean, with large boulders placed up against the wall. At this point, Sammi was done, tired of walking on sand and not reaching our destination but I was adamant that the tower would be just on the other side and we could easily navigate the boulders since they were so large and seemed sturdy.  The problem being was as we traveled across them, sand had washed over parts and had hidden several gaps between them. That in combination with the ocean lapping up over the boulders just a few feet down, made us a little anxious. At times we were able to use the shelf of the wall to aid us. In the end we had made it past and didn't get sucked into the ocean. We even passed a girl going the opposite direction and advised her on the safest route. 

To make matters worse, the tower wasn't on the other side of this stretch of beach. So we continued on.





Samantha, none too happy with my decision.


Finally we reached the right place! They even had a couple people doing a photo shoot there.





We opted to walk back to street level to return to the car rather than risk the boulders being covered by the tide, since we weren't sure. It was a long trek and by the time we returned to the bnb for the night, we were exhausted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yellowstone Trip May 2019 - Part 1

Day 1 & 2 Yellowstone. Probably the most diverse scenery I've seen in the span of 2 weeks. I had planned on going to Yellowstone in 2018 with Samantha, on the way back from California, but ended up coming straight home from San Francisco. So, of course, I started planning for a trip specifically to see Yellowstone. I threw out the suggestion to my family that we should all go, and most of them agreed! Having 9 of us go introduced some difficulties but ultimately we got it all worked out and started planning what all we wanted to see along the way. The first day was just driving, we headed to Sioux Falls, SD. Day 2 was jam packed full of sights! The first stop being the Corn Palace. About half of us had been there before, but it never ceases to a-maize! (See what I did there? Eh? No? Too corny? Ahem...moving on.) Next was a ghost town in Okaton. Abandoned places isn't everybody's thing, I know, but since it was right off the highway, we stopped and

August 2019 Review

I know it's not quite the end of the month, but the next few days are going to be crazy busy (I'll write about it in a separate post!) so I thought I would go ahead and post this month's review! This month I... -Went to lots of estate sales  I got this beauty and several other bones/oddities at a few different estate sales. This is Jolene (as dubbed by Matt) and now I need to go shopping for more wigs and little hats for her. I'm currently waiting on giant fake eyelashes for her too. - Got to Hang out with these kiddos I got to spend some one-on-one time with some of my nieces and nephews! We watched a movie, went swimming, and played at the park. Good times! -Watched the second season of Mindhunter Not everyone's cuppa tea, but if you have an interest in psychology or true crime, Mindhunter delivers. -Finished up some things for the Oddities and Curiosities Expo I finally got back into drawing

2019 Year Review

This has been a pretty amazing year. I love looking back at what I've done in the past year and looking forward to what's to come. This Year I... -Traveled to Chicago with Matthew We both were sick but we made some amazing memories, getting to be in the Willis building after dark, eating lots of pizza, exploring all over town and going to Medieval Times! -Opened an Etsy store Which I haven't done well with updates but I have made a couple of sales which just blows me away! -Bought a new camera It's a little silly how much I enjoy it. -Made 3 trips to Branson for much needed chill time It's Matt and I's go-to place when we need to just not worry about anything, even if it's only for a day or two.     -Took a big 2 week long trip to Yellowstone with several family members! While there I saw a moose, a bear, explored a ghost town, saw breathtaking scenery, ramb