Skip to main content

Grandparents House

This past 4th of July, as usual, my family (and often a handful of friends) head up to my Aunt and Uncle's to celebrate. It maybe the best holiday of the year with fireworks, good food, four wheelers, homemade ice-cream, usually some softball, and a bunch of lounging around. 

My grandparent's old house sits on my Aunt and Uncle's property and has been sitting empty for a few years now. This year I went in to revisit some wonderful childhood memories. The stepping stones in the front yard, the little porch, all brought back the thought of Sunday afternoons running in to change out of my church clothes and finally put on jeans, to sit at the large dining room table for lunch with home-made rolls and fried chicken. The corner beside the wood burning stove where I would curl up with piles of books and spend hours reading. The chair my Grandma would sit in and knit, a pug by her side. The kitchen with the birdcage and the plastic tub of old die-cast cars we would play with after helping with dishes. The upstairs with the steep steps where we would sometimes spend the night alongside dolls in little doll beds.  

It's bittersweet to revisit but I was glad to have the opportunity to explore the old house again and take a stroll down memory lane.



My nephew Titus ringing the doorbell.

My Dad inspects a cedar chest in my Grandparent's old bedroom.





This part of the upstairs seemed untouched, the bed still made.

A cage for their cockatiel, Tweety Bird.


Vines are sneaking their way in the window.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yellowstone Trip May 2019 - Part 1

Day 1 & 2 Yellowstone. Probably the most diverse scenery I've seen in the span of 2 weeks. I had planned on going to Yellowstone in 2018 with Samantha, on the way back from California, but ended up coming straight home from San Francisco. So, of course, I started planning for a trip specifically to see Yellowstone. I threw out the suggestion to my family that we should all go, and most of them agreed! Having 9 of us go introduced some difficulties but ultimately we got it all worked out and started planning what all we wanted to see along the way. The first day was just driving, we headed to Sioux Falls, SD. Day 2 was jam packed full of sights! The first stop being the Corn Palace. About half of us had been there before, but it never ceases to a-maize! (See what I did there? Eh? No? Too corny? Ahem...moving on.) Next was a ghost town in Okaton. Abandoned places isn't everybody's thing, I know, but since it was right off the highway, we stopped and

2019 Year Review

This has been a pretty amazing year. I love looking back at what I've done in the past year and looking forward to what's to come. This Year I... -Traveled to Chicago with Matthew We both were sick but we made some amazing memories, getting to be in the Willis building after dark, eating lots of pizza, exploring all over town and going to Medieval Times! -Opened an Etsy store Which I haven't done well with updates but I have made a couple of sales which just blows me away! -Bought a new camera It's a little silly how much I enjoy it. -Made 3 trips to Branson for much needed chill time It's Matt and I's go-to place when we need to just not worry about anything, even if it's only for a day or two.     -Took a big 2 week long trip to Yellowstone with several family members! While there I saw a moose, a bear, explored a ghost town, saw breathtaking scenery, ramb

August 2019 Review

I know it's not quite the end of the month, but the next few days are going to be crazy busy (I'll write about it in a separate post!) so I thought I would go ahead and post this month's review! This month I... -Went to lots of estate sales  I got this beauty and several other bones/oddities at a few different estate sales. This is Jolene (as dubbed by Matt) and now I need to go shopping for more wigs and little hats for her. I'm currently waiting on giant fake eyelashes for her too. - Got to Hang out with these kiddos I got to spend some one-on-one time with some of my nieces and nephews! We watched a movie, went swimming, and played at the park. Good times! -Watched the second season of Mindhunter Not everyone's cuppa tea, but if you have an interest in psychology or true crime, Mindhunter delivers. -Finished up some things for the Oddities and Curiosities Expo I finally got back into drawing