Skip to main content

Grandparents House

This past 4th of July, as usual, my family (and often a handful of friends) head up to my Aunt and Uncle's to celebrate. It maybe the best holiday of the year with fireworks, good food, four wheelers, homemade ice-cream, usually some softball, and a bunch of lounging around. 

My grandparent's old house sits on my Aunt and Uncle's property and has been sitting empty for a few years now. This year I went in to revisit some wonderful childhood memories. The stepping stones in the front yard, the little porch, all brought back the thought of Sunday afternoons running in to change out of my church clothes and finally put on jeans, to sit at the large dining room table for lunch with home-made rolls and fried chicken. The corner beside the wood burning stove where I would curl up with piles of books and spend hours reading. The chair my Grandma would sit in and knit, a pug by her side. The kitchen with the birdcage and the plastic tub of old die-cast cars we would play with after helping with dishes. The upstairs with the steep steps where we would sometimes spend the night alongside dolls in little doll beds.  

It's bittersweet to revisit but I was glad to have the opportunity to explore the old house again and take a stroll down memory lane.



My nephew Titus ringing the doorbell.

My Dad inspects a cedar chest in my Grandparent's old bedroom.





This part of the upstairs seemed untouched, the bed still made.

A cage for their cockatiel, Tweety Bird.


Vines are sneaking their way in the window.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August 2019 Review

I know it's not quite the end of the month, but the next few days are going to be crazy busy (I'll write about it in a separate post!) so I thought I would go ahead and post this month's review! This month I... -Went to lots of estate sales  I got this beauty and several other bones/oddities at a few different estate sales. This is Jolene (as dubbed by Matt) and now I need to go shopping for more wigs and little hats for her. I'm currently waiting on giant fake eyelashes for her too. - Got to Hang out with these kiddos I got to spend some one-on-one time with some of my nieces and nephews! We watched a movie, went swimming, and played at the park. Good times! -Watched the second season of Mindhunter Not everyone's cuppa tea, but if you have an interest in psychology or true crime, Mindhunter delivers. -Finished up some things for the Oddities and Curiosities Expo I finally got back into drawing...

January Review 2020

This month I... - Was a bridesmaid in my friend Becca's wedding! I'm honored to have been present for the start of their new life together. -Have been gearing up for another Oddities show in Tulsa. It's next month, so I'll be posting about it more at the end of February. But here's a couple things I've been working on! -Got a new friend for the collection. Meet Rufus, the derpy bobcat. Matt and I drove an hour to get him and he now sits proudly on the piano until we can potentially find a more suitable place. Matt pets him and tells him he's pretty. Apart from lots of work and lots of lazy days when we can get them, this month has flown by with not a lot of fanfare. I think we've recovered from the holidays and have begun preparations for the coming months. Between making lots of new bug things and wedding planning, I keep my mind busy.

September 2019 Review

This month I... -Was a vendor at the Oddities & Curiosities Expo (It was actually at the end of August, but, whatever.) This went so well! I sold my target amount and received so many kind comments and even had people return to buy more! I'm looking forward to next year and hoping to maybe expand to a couple shows. I was able to snag a couple amazing things while at the expo, including this adorable kitten! -Started wedding planning We booked our venue and found a photographer, both in our budget! -Saw IT: Chapter 2 If it's September, I'm already watching scary movies. But that's true nearly year round. -Walked around Parkville Nature Sanctuary  -Carved some acorns and pinned more butterflies! (Which you can find on my instagram!  https://www.instagram.com/eclecticcuriosities/ ) September has flown by and I'm looking forward to fall weather in the coming month!